The "Boomer" model
A sledge for hire and transportation of goods 100-150 kg on dogs
This dog sledge was invented by me with the expectation of cargo and passenger riding use. All analogues that I had to observe from other manufacturers in their parameters would not suit me if I had to use them for this purpose. So, I had to retreat from the generally accepted canons and stamps.
So, what do I need from a sledge of this type:
- convenience for cabin and passenger
- good ratio of own weight and load capacity
- the suitability of the sledge to work in the mode of frequent stops and turns in one
place on a limited patch
- maneuverability better than of other sledges of comparable load capacity
- easy folding
All these things are evaluated by me, based on my ideas about what they should be, but not ideally, but in a successful combination with each other. It turned out to be a somewhat unusual projectile, quite successfully passed my "cargo" tests and is now being tested by other users.
1. Unlike virtually all made "stand-up" sledges for riding on dogs, this sledge does not have a solid upper crossbar on the hinges. This is done for a more rational use of the "inter-arm" space. And it is more convenient for the passenger, because the cargo platform is lengthened. The required geometry of the frame and the collapse of the runners is provided by an elastic band of high-molecular polyethylene of a certain width (i.e. elasticity).
2. Unlike the other loaded dog sledges, this sledge has only one hoof standing "on the snow", that is, on the lying section of the skid. The second hoof is hung on the cape of the runner, and in such a way that the console of the cape, extending forward beyond the frame, is as short as possible and as difficult to break as possible.
This arrangement, with two uprights, one of which is hung on the skid, turns two- thirds of the length of the skid into one large spring. It seems to me, for a truck on 150 kilos - and approximately under such weight I did it - this is an interesting and correct decision. What would be a powerful hinges and the fasteners are not set, the icy ruts on the track is still tight. And I wanted to reduce these dynamic loads. In the traditional scheme, many kilos of cargo jump on the ditches and get through the usual hooves blows - this is a devastating impact for any hinged structure. In this sledge, most of this impact will be swallowed by the runners. So, the rest of the structure will live longer.
And one more thing is the comfort for the passenger. Not often we have such
notions in sledge manufacture mentioned. It's time for the sledge to stop being a
3. The third nuance. Since the cargo area has a length of one and a half meters, and the supports are two (pairs), the span of the site turned out to be long, and with uneven loading will simply bend. But I did not want to put an intermediate hoof, and I did not want to make a large number of thick heavy profiles in the frame of the platform either. Therefore, its frame is not aluminum profiles, and four-layer glued ash planks, in the amount of 4 pieces. Each of them can withstand the weight of 80 kg, bending, but not breaking at the same time.
4. The runners of the sledges. At the moment, there are ash seven-layered, but not rectangular, and trapezoidal cross-section. I think, if the corridor, which the slither pushes through the snow, will be wider than the body of the skid, the sides will be less stripped of snow, and the runners will work longer without tints and other care.
In addition, it is the trapezoidal section that is most rational to achieve the greatest rigidity for deflection with the smallest cross-sectional area, and therefore the weight of the skid. Provided that the width of the sole of the skid cannot be less than 50 mm.
5. I think this is the first sledge for dog sledding, which is equipped with a centering sector. It allows you to set the pull perfectly precisely in relation to the runners, negating the effect of withdrawal of the sledge to the side – it is a very common phenomenon.
6. The sledge is equipped with a quick-detachable padded seat and back made of polyethylene, as well as an adjustable foot rest.
7. The sledge’s brakes are a rigid brace and a soft rubber mat with spikes, with a handle to control it.
- Runners: seven-layer ash trapezoidal section with a width of 50 mm, with a system of removable slide on the guide "dovetail" type (the runners are not separated from the frame when the sledge is folded).
- Brake system: separate brake system (rigid brake bracket + brake Mat with handle control it).
- Side handles.
- Quick-release backrest.
- Passenger seat soft quick-release.
- Adjustable foot rest.
- Fixing under the anchor.
The cost of the model as standard is 590 USD.
Additional accessories (not included as standard):
- Spare set of replacement sliders, the cost is 25 USD.
- Anchorage (second), the cost is 10 USD.
* The manufacturer reserves the right to make changes to the design of the sled,
not impairing its structural and strength characteristics
** The sledges are not equipped with an anchor and rope for it
The shortened version of the "Boomer" model and the anchor, which will be tested this winter.